Over New Years Eve, Drew and I visited Charleston for Vanessa (@thecheekybeen) and Shane’s wedding. They’re wedding was held at the same venue Drew and I got married at 3 years prior, so Drew and I thought it would be fun to do a walk down memory lane and share our favorite places in Charleston. I shared a full day on Instagram stories where we did a bike tour, visited the venue we did our rehearsal dinner and even shared some of our favorite restaurants and meals with you, so I thought it would be great to recap it for you by answering your questions and sharing some of my outfits so you can access it at any time on the blog. P.S. keep scrolling to the bottom for some fun group photos at Vanessa’s wedding!
Many of you reached out with questions on stories, so I thought answering those questions would be the easiest way to share details on our weekend in Charleston. If you questions in addition to these, feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll make sure and respond to them.
- Where did you do your rehearsal dinner? Our rehearsal dinner was at a restaurant called McCrady’s in downtown Charleston. When I shared the room on stories with you I told you that it was where George Washington had dinner during his tour of the South. The room has the most beautiful antique chandeliers and regal wallpaper. Definitely a great spot for a fancy dinner with family.
- Where did you get married in Charleston? Same place as V – Lowndes Grove Plantation. It’s a beautiful white antebellum plantation located on the Ashley River waterfront, just out of downtown Charleston. Highly recommend! The grounds are stunning.
- Where is your dress from you wore to the wedding? You can find the dress HERE. Surprisingly affordable for a black tie gown.
- Where is Drew’s blue velvet blazer from? You can find the velvet HERE. He got so many compliments (more than I did with my dress, actually), and he was so proud.
- What lipstick are you wearing at the wedding? The color is called ‘Don’t Stop’ and linked the brand HERE. I loved this lipstick! It isn’t a stay all day lipstick, but I love the matte texture and it was super saturated so the color really popped. I’ve already bought it in 2 other colors!
- Who did you attend the wedding with? My blogger babes @loverlygrey and @macystucke and their significant others. We had a blast!
- How did you rent bikes in Charleston? We downloaded the app Sobi and found bikes on the app. We found this was way more affordable than going through a store and there are bike racks everywhere so we can jump from one side of the city to the other and leave the bike if we wanted. Super convenient, and I think it was only like $8/hour.
- What are your favorite restaurants in Charleston? OMG, such a tough question because there are so many good spots in Charleston. Some of our favorite dinner spots to name a few are Macintosh, Husk, Edmund’s Oast (super cool drink spot, too), and Magnolias. We are at High Cotton for the first time this trip and it was also very good. For Sunday brunch you have to do Hall’s Chophouse! They have endless mimosas and an opera singer for entertainment!
- Any recommendations for happy hour drinks? Our favorite place to get drinks is the Cocktail Club located right above Macintosh. They have amazing craft cocktails and it’s actually where Vanessa did her after party for NYE. Stars rooftop is another good one when the weather is nice!
- What are Charleston must-dos for a first time visitor? You have to see Rainbow Row! It’s such a fun street for photos. It’s also located by a beautiful waterfront in the Easy Bay area that you can stroll and drink a coffee. I’d also recommend shopping down King Street and taking in all the views of the colonial buildings. Charleston is the most charming city.
- Where should I stay when visiting Charleston? Drew and I have been to Charleston several times and stayed at many places. Our favorite is Charleston Place for a weekend splurge, but more reasonable places to stay would be The Renaissance Marriott in Historic District or Francis Marion. Both are a great centralized location.
- When should I visit? Our favorite times are the Spring and Fall. Charleston can get kind of hot in the Summer and naturally we prefer not to visit in the Winter so we can be outdoors and admire the city. My favorite thing to do in the Spring is visit the Farmer’s Market located in the main square of Charleston, definitely a must-do!
- What is something you haven’t done in Charleston that you’d like to do? I really want to do a ghost tour, lol! I love being spooked but Drew won’t do it with me. Another more practical thing I’d like to do is visit all the Charleston plantations like Magnolia Plantation and Boone Hall where the Notebook is set.
Hopefully that covers the majority of the questions you sent! If not, feel free to leave me a comment below and I’ll make sure to answer! xoxo.